By: Daniella Jade Lowe
What is Equality?
Equality is the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, or opportunities. Equality is a human right. It prevents discrimination. It’s all about inclusion.
The Equality Act 2010
It was created in 2010. It is comprised of 115 sections, which includes the DDA. Inclusion is a key theme of this Act. It covers the workplace and society.
Example of Unconscious bias in the Workplace
Historically, there has been a gender pay gap. However, this has changed, at least since 2017, according to the gender pay gap factsheet. file:///C:/Users/Daniella%20Lowe/Downloads/Gender-Pension-Gap-Factsheet.pdf. This factsheet shows evidence that people (women in particular) are now encouraged to discuss salaries with each other. This will definitely expose and clamp down on discrimination.
For more information on how to beat the Gender Wealth Gap visit- https://www.hl.co.uk/free-guides/thank-you?SQ_DESIGN_NAME=ppc&guide=https://www.hl.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/16042734/Gender-Pension-Gap-Factsheet.pdf&pub=TGWG&name=on%20how%20to%20beat%20the%20gender%20wealth%20gap.
What stayed the same?
- Still paying lip service.
- Disability Employment gap still remains high. But there are some improvements to this such as the Access to Work for the Self Employed. This covers disability.
- Benefit changes have disadvantaged disabled people.
Also, taxi drivers still overcharge wheelchair users despite the Equality Act 2010 Taxi Annexa. Well, at least that’s what my experience has been.https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents.
What does the future hold?
- We expect more action instead of information and promises.
- Intersectionality must be focus of progress.
- Culture of organisations must be inclusive.
- Inclusion cannot be bias – it means all, not our favourite parts.
As an overview, this means that there is still work to be done. Law reinforcement and accountability must take place. Hopefully ten years from now we can expose all inequalities and have disparities resolved.
You must log in to post a comment.